Dr. Lieponis is a Diplomat of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery and a highly respected board-certified surgeon who has been involved in the management of spinal problems for over 20 years. He received his spinal training from some of the world’s best spinal surgeons at Loyola University Hospital, Shiners Children’s Hospital, as well as Yale University Hospital. In addition to participating in patient care, he has engaged in teaching, research, and the development of minimally-invasive techniques and instruments for spinal surgery.
Dr. Lieponis came to Connecticut after completing his Orthopaedic training at Loyola University in Chicago, Illinois. He performed a spinal fellowship in the Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation at Yale Univeristy. He continued as a full-time faculty member at Yale University Medical Center and served as Chief of the Orthopaedic Section at West Haven Veterans Hospital.
Choosing to transition into private practice, Dr. Lieponis co-founded Murphy and Lieponis PC in 1987. He has been and continues to be an attending physician and surgeon at Yale New Haven Hospital, Hospital of St. Raphael’s, and Bridgeport Hospital-Milford Campus as well as an active member and Assistant Clinical Professor in the Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation of Yale University School of Medicine.
As an affiliate of one the largest orthopedic groups in Connecticut, Dr. Lieponis is able to offer superior resources and advantages to his patients while emphasizing personalized service. Dr.Lieponis offers his patients not only his expertise in the management of spinal problems but also the experience and expertise of multiple specialists within the group. Connecticut Orthopaedics is a multi-specialty group that includes their own Physical Therapy Department, MRI services and state-of-the-art surgical center.
List of Achievements:
- Practicing spinal surgeon since 1984
- Certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery since 1986
- Has performed literally thousands of spinal procedures
- Former full time faculty member in the Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation Yale School of Medicine
- Former Chief of the Section of Orthopaedics, Department of Surgery, West Haven Veterans Hospital
- Assistant Clinical Professor in the Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation Yale School of Medicine
- Recipient of numerous teaching awards
- Principal investigator of numerous scientific studies
- Author of multiple research papers, book chapters and publications
- Frequent presenter at national and regional conferences, and meetings
- Involved in the development of surgical techniques and instruments for use in minimally-invasive surgery
- Holder of multiple U.S. patents and patent-pending applications