Website ctorthopaedics Connecticut Orthopaedics
Connecticut Orthopaedics is seeking a Certified Surgical Technologist to function as a member of the healthcare team performing technical and clinical duties required for surgical procedures at our Surgical Center in Branford, CT. We offer a professional, congenial work environment, professional development, and a comprehensive suite of benefits. If you are interested in joining a dynamic team of medical professionals, we encourage you to apply.
Case Preparation Turnover
- Select and assemble all sterile disposable equipment, supplies, and instrumentation for a specified procedure-using physician’s preference card.
- Stock O.R. with any needed Arthroscopy fluid, suction canisters, etc.
- Assist the anesthesiologist, surgeon, and circulating nurse with patient transfers and positioning as needed.
- Transfer sterilized instrumentation from the clean utility room to the O.R. using proper technique.
- Storage and retrieval of sterile instrumentation and supplies.
- Transfer contaminated instruments from O.R. to dirty utility room using proper technique.
- Decontaminate all equipment, instrumentation, and supplies using proper protective precautions and proper care of instrumentation.
- Assist in cleaning O.R. after every case including: mopping floor, changing trash, and wiping down equipment.
- After donning personal protective equipment (eyewear, gloves, and gown), sorts all contaminated instruments, isolating any sharps and/or power equipment.
- Scrupulously washes all surgical instruments, disassembling some as needed.
- Ultrasounds all appropriate instrumentation.
- Dries, inspects, and lubricates all instruments as needed.
- Re-assembles sets of instruments in preparation for sterilization.
- Passes clean instrumentation to sterilization room.
- Prepares damaged instrumentation for mailing and shipping, promptly taking care to enclose proper documentation of package contents, including serial numbers.
Sterilization Room Testing
- Assures daily Bowie-Dick and biological indicator tests are completed and pass. Assures steam indicators and indicator tape is used for all packages and instrument sets are to be sterilized.
- Runs all sterilization cycles. Positions all sterilization items appropriately on wire racks in autoclave
- Chooses appropriate cycles and times for wrapped and unwrapped (FLASH) cycles.
- Always check printout for proper sterilization parameters before transferring any instrumentation to the O.R. or to the shelves for storage.
- Places a biological indicator in all implant and/or FLASH loads.
- Is familiar with the days schedule and needed instrumentation and prioritizes sterilization loads to avoid delays or the need to flash instrumentation.
- Keeps all sterilization records according to Center’s policies.
- Stores all sterile instrumentation according to standards and Center’s policies.
- Follows manufacturer’s instruction on all equipment maintenance.
- Cares for all decontamination and sterilization equipment according to manufacturers and Biomedical Engineering Instructions.
- Contacts Biomedical Engineering to schedule routine or emergency maintenance as needed.
- Reports any equipment problems or repairs as needed.
- Receives all incoming orders and updates computer system.
- Receives and maintains linen orders.
- Assists in setting up, organizing, stocking, and cleaning all supply and linen areas.
- Assists in inventory, storage, and retrieval of supplies and equipment.
- Helps clean and maintain rooms, equipment, and furniture according to standards and Center policy.
- Assists with emergency procedures as directed.
- Maintains confidentiality of all patient and Center’s communications and documents.
- Communicates a positive and caring attitude towards patients, peers, staff, physicians, and all other contacts.
- Other tasks as assigned by the Director, Surgical Services
Skills and Abilities:
- Must be able to multi-task efficiently without loss of accuracy, focus and follow through
- Organization and timeliness
- Ability to work safely and efficiently in a fast-paced work environment.
- Ability to meet the needs of the Center as demanded by the schedule, particularly when overtime hours and time changes become necessary.
- Ability to work well with physicians, employees, patients, and others
- High School Graduate or equivalent.
- Certificate from a sterilization technician program required.
- Knowledge of reprocessing and sterilization standards.
- Minimum one (1) year Reprocessing Tech experience required’