Certified/Registered Medical Assistant – multiple openings
Website connecticutorthopaedics Connecticut Orthopaedics
YOU ARE: Highly proficient in your role and responsibilities, able to manage multiple and shifting priorities to serve as a valued member of a team, highly organized and are looking to add value to an innovative growing practice. You are reliable and accountable and get along well with others.
THE OPPORTUNITY: Connecticut Orthopaedic Specialists is a growing healthcare organization, with our corporate operations located in Hamden.
The clinical MA position provides direct support to the physician and assists with all aspects of the physicians’ practice. Responsibilities include but are not limited to: clinical scheduling, clinical patient flow, surgical and test authorization, scheduling and follow up, patient contact, and liaison with outside agencies.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Booking provider requests for tests and surgeries for patients and obtaining authorizations, recording information in proper location
- Contacting outside facilities and processing related paperwork such as other physician offices, hospitals, and surgical centers and providing them with the necessary information to schedule tests and surgeries
- Following up on surgical patients to ensure necessary pre-op and testing appointments have been completed
- Contacting patients with pertinent information regarding their scheduled test or surgery and scheduling necessary follow up visits
- Ensuring tests results are received before surgery; are reviewed and distributed appropriately (i.e. provider, facility, etc.)
- Accurately documenting necessary information in the computer system, such as pre-certification numbers, and chart for patients having tests and procedures
- Preparing paperwork, x-rays, and other documents as needed for the physician to be available for him or her to take to surgery
- Addressing patient concerns and questions as needed
- Directing requests for worker compensation approval of tests and surgeries and other related information to the case manager
- Pre-authorizing and calling in prescriptions and/or injectables for the physician
- Scheduling post-op and first physical therapy appointment and informing patient
- Applying casts, removing wound dressings, sutures, and casts
- Fitting patients with durable medical equipment and braces appropriately and completing billing paper work accurately
- Assist physician in clinic with rooming patient, confirming chart information as needed, scheduling follow-up appointments; significant work in the EMR.
Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated knowledge and compliance of all HIPAA regulations
- Demonstrated critical thinking skills
- Experience working an an EMR (electronic medical record) required
- Must possess proficient computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite
- Must have excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Must be able to communicate effectively with physicians, surgeons, physician assistants and other senior clinical practitioners
- Must have excellent time-management skills
- Must have outstanding professional medical phone communication skills and can coordinate with outside facilities to obtain patient medical information, following HIPAA regulations
- Ability to relay information in a positive manner and calm patients, presenting solutions for their problems
- Must have own transportation as physicians see patients in 3-4 offices per week
- Experience with casting/cast removal considered a +.
Education and Experience
- Certification from an Accredited Medical Assistant program or prior training, education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills are acquired leading to a Medical Assistant title
- High school Diploma or equivalent (GED) required
- 1-3 years of experience as a Medical Assistant or Medical Secretary required
- Experience in an orthopaedic practice preferred and will be first considered for this position
Connecticut Orthopaedic Specialists P.C. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer M/F/D/V.
Job Type: Full-time